Content partner : German Christmas Market
When the air becomes crisp and snow begins to fall, Old Québec transitions into a stunning winter wonderland. Snow-capped 17th and 18th-century buildings, festive lights strung along doorways and roofs, and in the heart of Old Québec, a charming German Christmas Market which runs from November 22nd to December 23rd, 2018. Frohe Weihnachten!
Here are 10 reasons to plan a visit:
1. The German Christmas Market proposes a rich and varied program you don't want to miss: musicians from Germany and France, chorale singing, live shows, traditional German characters visits and more!
2. As if Old Québec was not pretty enough with its snow-capped buildings and festive lights, more than 80 wooden kiosks of the German Christmas Village amp up the city’s European charm to a whole new level that should not be missed.
Credit: Ville de Québec Zoom
3. Sipping hot chocolate or mulled wine and taking time to admire the beautiful holiday lights is enough to put Scrooge into the holiday spirit. If you’re planning a visit on Friday the 22nd, indulge in Feuerzangenbowle, a flambé hot wine that will warm the soul, and the toes! All the other days of the market, the Winterbar is the place to have a drink in an authentic European atmosphere and getting into the Christmas spirit.
4. Skip the big box stores this year and do your Christmas shopping at the German Christmas Market where you’ll find beautiful handcrafted items made in Québec, as well as Nuremberg gingerbread and German Christmas cake (Yum!).
5. Indulge in delightful (and flavourful) German foods like bratwurst, pretzels, mulled wine and more. Stop by the BMW Alpine Chalet where a different Québec chef will cook up yummy eats each week.
Credit: Geneviève Roussel Zoom
6. This year, Alsace, the famous French region, is the guest of honour of the event. On the weekend of November 22 to 25, it will be the perfect occasion to enjoy Alsatian traditional foods at the alpine chalet BMW. Make sure to bring your appetite!
7. There is no better place in town to find original Christmas decorations like an intricately carved nativity scene, a unique wooden Santa Claus or other products exclusively imported from Germany for the event.
8. The German Christmas Market is fun for the whole family, and even comes with an indoor play area for kids as well as tales, workshops, animated board games, a brand new giant Advent calendar and various shows.
9. It is one of the top Instagram destinations in Old Québec in winter. Yes, really! Visit the Market, then walk up to the top of Pierre-Dugua-De-Mons Terrace, capture the festive lights strung along rue du Petit-Champlain and ride the ferry across the St. Lawrence River to Lévis for a beautiful shot of the Québec City skyline.
10. Admission to the German Christmas Market is FREE!
German Christmas Market in Québec City
November 22nd to December 23rd, 2018 (Thursdays to Sundays)
Rue Sainte-Anne, place and jardins de l'Hôtel-de-Ville (Old Québec)
What exactly is a content partner?
A content partner acts as a sponsor by paying for a post. Québec City Tourism retains editorial control over the content of such posts. Content partners can have a say in the approach or the subject of a post but are not involved in its creation.