Content partner : German Christmas Market
When the air becomes crisp and snow begins to fall, Old Québec transitions into a stunning winter wonderland. Snow-capped 17th and 18th-century buildings, festive lights strung along doorways and roofs, and in the heart of Old Québec, a charming German Christmas Market which runs from November 22nd to December 23rd, 2019. Frohe Weihnachten!
Here are 10 reasons to plan a visit:
1. The German Christmas Market proposes a rich and varied program you don't want to miss: musicians from Germany, opening night with the choir of the Orchestre symphonique de Québec, free indoor and outdoor shows, Christmas Choirs and more!
2. As if Old Québec was not pretty enough with its snow-capped buildings and festive lights, more than 90 wooden kiosks of the German Christmas Village amp up the city’s European charm to a whole new level that should not be missed.
Credit: Ville de Québec Zoom
3. Sipping hot chocolate or mulled wine and taking time to admire the beautiful holiday lights is enough to put Scrooge into the holiday spirit. If you’re planning a visit on Saturdays, November 23rd, December 7th or 21st, indulge in Feuerzangenbowle, a flambé hot wine that will warm the soul, and the toes! All the other days of the market, the Winterbar is the place to have a drink in an authentic European atmosphere and getting into the Christmas spirit.
4. Skip the big box stores this year and do your Christmas shopping at the German Christmas Market where you’ll find beautiful handcrafted items made in Québec, as well as Nuremberg gingerbread and German Christmas cake (Yum!).
5. Indulge in delightful (and flavourful) German foods like bratwurst, pretzels, mulled wine and more. Stop by the BMW Alpine Chalet where a different Québec chef will cook up yummy eats each week.
Credit: Geneviève Roussel Zoom
6. This year, the Christmas market will celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Québec-Bavaria partnership with a dedicated booth including a photo exhibition, special activities and surprises.
7. There is no better place in town to find original Christmas decorations like an intricately carved nativity scene, a unique wooden Santa Claus or other products exclusively imported from Germany for the event.
8. The German Christmas Market also offers fun activities for the whole family. Enjoy the indoor play area with free activities such as music and tale workshops, animated board games and crafts. Do not miss the Kinderplatz Ravensburger and the outdoor games or the puppet show at the new Theaterplatz. A treat for the children!
9. It is one of the top Instagram destinations in Old Québec in winter. Yes, really! Visit the Market, then walk up to the top of Pierre-Dugua-De-Mons Terrace, capture the festive lights strung along rue du Petit-Champlain and ride the ferry across the St. Lawrence River to Lévis for a beautiful shot of the Québec City skyline.
10. Admission to the German Christmas Market is FREE!
German Christmas Market in Québec City
November 22nd to December 23rd, 2019 (Thursdays to Sundays, the market will close on Monday December 23rd at 6:00 p.m.)
Rue Sainte-Anne, place and jardins de l'Hôtel-de-Ville (Old Québec)
What exactly is a content partner?
A content partner acts as a sponsor by paying for a post. Québec City Tourism retains editorial control over the content of such posts. Content partners can have a say in the approach or the subject of a post but are not involved in its creation.